"After introducing several celebrities in the audience, the ring announcer, Freddie Russo, said in his booming voice, “Ladieees and gentlemen,  tonight we have a fifteen round fight for the Welterweight Championship  of the World.” As is customary, he introduced the challenger first, “Weighing in at 145 ½ pounds, from Boston, Massachusetts, the challenger with  a record of forty-five wins and six defeats, the Flame and Fury of Fleet  Street, Tony Demarco!” The cheering was deafening and seemed never to  end. When Saxton, the reigning champion was introduced, the cheering  for me had not yet subsided.

Mel Manning, the referee, gave the instructions to each of us before  we went back to our corners to wait for the bell. We stared at each other  from our respective corners. It seemed as though our eye contact brought  us closer and closer to the middle of the ring. We were both eager for the  fight to start. The bell finally rang and we charged on one another, hurling  leather. This was the defining moment.

Immediately I threw punches to Saxton’s head and body. I seemed to  get the best of him with my body punches. The fact is that body punches  don’t knock you out but they have a devastating effect on your stamina. It  was certainly the case with this fight. Between rounds my trainer, Sammy  Fuller, told me to keep using body punches and not to let up. I continued  to throw body punches at every opportunity. We went back and forth,  round after round, but the body shots on Saxton were finally taking their  toll. Whenever I could, I threw left hooks and continued until I could  see that they were hurting Saxton. Johnny was a devastating puncher, and  believe me, he was inflicting some real punishment on me, but I began to  wear him down.

The excitement mounted with every round. It got to a point where  Saxton and I walked to the center of the ring and just stared each other  down until the bell rang to start the round. My adrenaline was off the  charts, and I was throwing shots that were coming from left field. A couple of times, Mel Manning, the referee, had to come between us to make sure  we didn’t throw any punches before the bell rang.

For the first thirteen rounds, the fight seesawed back and forth between the two of us. At the beginning of the fourteenth round everything changed. I hit Saxton with a combination of punches ending with a vicious right that sent him to the canvas. He was hurt and the crowd went wild.  Saxton struggled to his feet before the count of ten. Looking back at his  condition at that point, I think it would have been better for the Champ  if he hadn’t tried to stand up. He was helpless and defenseless as I attacked  with punch after punch.

I caught the Champ with a relentless array of left hooks and right  crosses that were devastating. I hit him with a total of twenty-four consecutive punches that were right on the mark. The crowd was amazed at  the amount of punishment the Champ was capable of taking. Many in  the crowd shouted for the referee to stop the fight before it was too late.

After those twenty-four punches, Johnny Saxton, the champion of  the world, was dead on his feet. The Champ was helpless and the referee  stopped the fight. I, Tony DeMarco, Leonardo Liotta, had reached the  top of the mountain. I was the new undisputed Welterweight Champion  of the World. The ring announcer tried to quiet the screaming crowd with no success. His only recourse was to yell over their volume. He brought the  microphone closer to his lips and shouted, “One of the few undisputed  champions from Boston Proper since the ‘Boston Strong Boy’ John L. Sullivan won the heavyweight crown on September 7, 1892. Ladies and gentlemen, the new Welterweight Champion of the World, Tony DeMarco!” "

(by Tony DeMarco)