"I began to take on a lot of confidence, and I made up my mind that I would put down a bet on myself the next time I started, if a good chance was offered and I could keep my mother from finding it out. It came quicker than I expected.      

William Rosser, a lightning fast young lightweight, and at that time the pride of West Pullman, and a boy who had been defeating every Chicago fighter who dared to come into his bailiwick, sent me a challenge after I had stopped the Cyclone. With a large party of my Hegewisch friends and backers we journeyed over to Harvey  by  buses,  buggies,  automobiles  and in every manner imaginable.  We were about 250 strong.      

About a week previous to the fight while training at my White House Club at home, Frank Reiger, one of those talkative fellows, dropped into the club  rooms and asked me what I thought  of  my chances in  the coming fight. I jokingly said, "Why, I'll knock him out in a round."        Reiger,  who had been continually belittling my ability as  a fighter, at  once  offered to bet me $40, to  $4, or $10 to $i, that I wouldn't knock him out in  a  round. I, thinking it was only a bunch of  hot  air, dug down in my jeans and took up the bet. Reiger immediately  appointed George  Wickham as stakeholder and handed him the $40. Of course, I put up my four, thinking he would try and crawl out of the bet any moment. But the stakeholder forced him to keep his coin up.      

Now that the bet was made and the money posted it was up to me to figure out ways and  means to win that fight in a gallop.

I immediately made up my mind to get that one-round money if I never fought again. I notified my backers that I would show the Harvey sports three minutes  of  the fastest fighting they ever saw in their lives, if Rosser lasted that long.      

Having that forty dollars in view all the while, I made up my mind that I wouldn't allow him to get a start. When we were called to the  centre of  the ring for instructions I had the scheme figured out.  Instead  of retiring to my corner,  as  is customary, I  decided  to take a step toward his corner.      

The trick worked like a  charm. As  the  timekeeper rang the bell Rosser raised out of his chair,  and he was just within nice hitting distance. The bell had not ceased ringing before I shot a terrific right-hand swing flush on his jaw. He tottered a step forward and fell in the centre of the ring. Rosser tried hard to get up and made two futile efforts to rise, but only got to arm's length, and by the time the referee had tolled off seven seconds he dropped on his face and turned over on his back and remained for the full count, only to be carried to his dressing room by his handlers.      

My only punch was so well directed that it was hours before he regained consciousness."

(by Battling Nelson)

..................

*The Two Second Fight. April 5th 1902.

Battling Nelson knocked out his opponent, William Rossler, two seconds into the first round making this the shortest bout in history to date. It would be equalled 13 years later by the Billy Weeks v Romeo Hagen bout of Dec.18, 1915.