My gang was mainly from my street. Sam Bibbikraut was the leader. Then there was Gussie, Sammy Front, Morrie Greenberg, maybe one or two others, younger brothers. We grew up together. I could lick Sam - I could lick any of them. I was fighting every day, to survive! I had to fight, it was my way, you see - When I was in the street, if anybody hit somebody I knew, I used to shield that person. I never wanted people to take liberties with me. What's right is right, but I never wanted people to take liberties. I always landed the first punch, whatever happened. I'd get in first. If I'm right or wrong, I'm going to hit you, I'm not going to wait until you bang me one. Gangs of gentiles used to sing bad things to us on the streets, often in front of old Jewish people and when we kids used to hear that, well, we didn't like it! Our spirits used to be on fire, we'd burn! We would make a dash for them. We were always fighting. You had to fight! It was part of my nature.

- Jack 'Kid' Berg 'The Whitechapel Windmill'
Light-Welterweight Champion of the World (1930-31)