Although I have fought more than 60 opponents, I will never forget my bout at Warrington with Joe Curran of Liverpool. I consider this my most thrilling contest. It was unusual how the fight came to be fixed up.

Early in 1936 I was told that I was to meet Laddie Hines of Colne, and I was looking forward to an interesting tussle, as Hines had a good record. Then we in the North got a severe shock when news came through that Laddie had died suddenly. Hardly had the announcement been published when I was informed that Joe Curran had been engaged as a substitute.

Curran was fighting impressively, and I trained hard, hoping to keep up my winning form. For the second time the show was cancelled owing to the country going into mourning through the death of His Majesty King George V.

However, the promoter managed to overcome a series of problems, and the contest took place at catch-weights over 10 rounds. I knew that I would have to put up my best display, because Curran has a reputation of being a crafty boxer.

I began confidently. Unfortunately, I was too confident. In the second round I came close to defeat. Such a result would have been disastrous at that vital stage of my career. A strong punch put Curran on the boards for a long count. Thinking that Joe had been close to a knockout, I went in to finish the fight. Then came a thrill for the crowd, but not for me! Everything appeared to go black. Joe had evidently been resting, and had taken full advantage of the long count.

Seeing me uncovered, he swung a smashing blow, which, I learnt afterwards, caught me flush on the jaw and I collapsed. Everything that happened from this stage and in the following rounds until the start of the eighth session seemed like a dream - and a blank one at that!

After seeing Curran on the canvas I remember nothing until I heard the time-keeper shout, "Seconds out; eighth round!" I had fought five rounds without knowing it! But my supporters told me later that I had done well during the "blank rounds". Crafty Curran nearly did the trick.

I put everything I knew into the remaining rounds, and fortunately did not fall into Curran's trap again. I got the verdict, but Curran taught me a lesson - never to be too sure of oneself. Although Curran did not get the decision, he can say that he is the only boxer to put me down for a count.

(Peter Kane)

..................

Born on 28th February 1918 in Heywood, Lancashire, UK, Peter Kane was a blacksmith in the neighbouring district of Lowton, and lived in a bungalow on Liverpool Road, Pewfall, near St Helens for most of his professional career. Following in his father's footsteps, he began boxing at 16 years of age and took the professional name 'Kane'. He went on to win lasting fame as a boxer, and became World Flyweight Boxing Champion in 1938.

The video below is from the later 1942 bout between Kane and Curran, the final bout in their trilogy.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84eMh5UV87g