"I should have known the first day I went in the gym and sparred with some kid that I really didn’t have it. But I had waited 11 years for a shot and I didn’t want it to pass me by. I somehow managed to go 15 rounds but after the first round I just knew. I’ve lived that fight 35 years ago over in my head a thousand times, over and over again. I remember it punch for punch and it drives me crazy. I remember when I came back to my corner after the first I said, “We’re in for a long night.” ‘I thought, “Oh man, 14 more.” It felt like I had done 15 rounds already. I was just counting them down, “I’ve got 12 more, I’ve got ten more rounds.” ‘In the seventh I hit him with a right hand and knocked him down and should have finished him. He was hurt but I didn’t realise and he got up. I was so tired I don’t think I realised how tired he really was. I let him off the hook. If I’d went in there and tried to bang with him I’m sure I could have knocked him out. I’ve got the film and I look at it every once in a while and it makes me sick,’ he smiled regretfully. ‘There’s no doubt in my mind I could have knocked him out. He was a tough kid but he never hurt me. ‘In my career I definitely see a few things I would have liked to have done differently and beating Benvenuti would have been one of them. I go to bed now and every night when I run that fight through my head it still drives me crazy."

(Don Fullmer)

.................................................................................


Instead of being listed as one of Nino Benvenuti's conquests, maybe the man who fought nine world champions in his 79 fights would have been inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame himself. In the seventh round of the 15-round title fight, Fullmer, who was weak from weeks of fighting the flu, landed a punch that sent Benvenuti to the canvas. But it wasn't enough, and in the end he lost that fight by decision.

"About 10 years ago, he told me that a day never goes by that he hasn't thought about that fight," said one of Fullmer's five sons, Hud Fullmer. Adds his youngest son, Kade, "He told me he dreams about it every night."

On the 43rd anniversary of that fight, the Fullmer boys gathered at the South Jordan home of their dad and mom, Nedra, to talk about their father, his life and his legacy — inside and outside the ring. They discussed Fullmer's second fight against Benvenuti, an Olympic gold medalist and Italian superstar, on Dec. 14, 1968, which was for the world middleweight title.

Brad Fullmer quietly voiced the sentiment that has haunted his father. "Maybe our lives would have been a lot different from one punch," he said. And then Don Fullmer, who sat in a recliner to ease the constant pain in his back, responded with his simple, dry humor for which he is so well-known and loved: "Mine would have been. I don't know about yours, but mine would have been." The reaction sparked an eruption of laughter, followed by a lot of ribbing.

(Desert News)